Tuesday, May 15, 2012

DIY {3} Translucent Face Powder

So all of us women know how expensive makeup can be. As an avid makeup wearer, I'm probably sitting on hundreds of dollars worth of cosmetics, and ever since I stopped using products tested on animals... well I haven't been wearing makeup as I used to. Which is sad because as an artist (well, I like to say I am since I went to art school anyway, even if I never graduated. Sigh.) I felt like my makeup applications were a daily expression of my artistic talent.

So now that I am a changed person I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find makeup that is not only animal friendly, but me friendly too. I do not want products that are laden with chemicals and bad things for my skin. I found this easy peasy recipe for translucent face powder over at One Good Thing and knew immediately that I had to try it out, and share it.

If you try it, please let me know how it works! I'll post updates as well.

Ingredients:







1/2 Tablespoon Cornstarch
1 Teaspoon of Baby Powder (Talc)
Optional: 1/8 Teaspoon Powder Foundation (For a touch of color)

Directions: Stir all ingredients together and store in a clean, used powder container or small tin, like the ones mints come in. Apply with a powder brush.

I need to go out and buy some baby powder, as that is something I unfortunately do not have on hand. This will be an easy one to make organic as well, because my local grocery store carries an organic cornstarch, and they do have an organic baby section as well - - WOO HOO!

NOTE: Some people feel that Talc is not safe. Since I purchase organic ingredients, I've purchased Burt's Bees Baby Powder which is talc-free. It's your own prerogative if you feel comfy using a baby powder with talc. 

EDIT: If you want to add color but do not have or want to use powder foundation, you can experiment with cinnamon, or cocoa powder. Therefore giving you a sheen of color and even a nice scent!

Until Next Time,
Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment